Must say I am feeling loads better this morning. Hubby and I had a short chat (because the long ones just go in circles). We have tried to work out a few things and leave some alone.
We sat down with and worked out the budget again. This has had two purposes:
• I have realised we are not living on the edge and we do have money to spare.
• Hubby has realised that we do have quite a few things we are committed to pay for.
• We have used Runnermom’s excellent idea to assign “pocket money”
So on the budget side, we are both happy. Things to do in the future:
• Get a more cost-effective bank account for hubby because his bank charges are ridiculous. Really Absa?
• Cancel hubby’s credit card and get him a cheque account to maintain his credit history (we will have to check out this one properly).
• I will not increase the limit on my credit card (do we really want potential trouble?)
• We have set up two other investment accounts
• Speak to our financial adviser soon to make sure we are on track.
We have decided to leave the issue of smoking alone for now. There is no way we can agree on this and I do understand that quitting is not easy. So we know it is a sore point for the both of us, but for now we have stuck a band-aid on it and left it alone.
We know we love each other. We are two very different people and we need to love those differences like we used to. We are not the young giddy in love couple we used to be, but this does not mean we love each other any less.
Our issues are not magically solved now. It is things we have to make a conscious effort on.