How do you celebrate your birthday? Do you?
For me birthdays are an experience. I love them. I love the day that is all mine. Just for me. Even if no one else knows it is my birthday, I know. I always start thinking about my birthday and all the things I would like to do to make it special for me. So it will be memorable. It is definitely a day to make memories.
Hubby, on the other hand, says for him it just another day. He does not plan what to do. Here is me making plans for him. Making suggestions on possible gifts and activities. Why do some people feel it is nothing? Surely we all need times that are for us only, times that we can be selfish and stop thinking about the other person.
The only thing Hubby is definite about is the kind of cake I should make for him. Lucky for me, this year it is a fridge cake.
So I have given him options:
1. He can get out of bed at 5 in the morning and go to work. Then he can spend the day as any other. Get home at 8 in the evening and we can eat dinner and go to bed.
2. We can both take the day off, sleep late, and then I will make him breakfast, take him to a movie, have lunch, and then back home for a lounge picnic (these are a favourite of ours).
3. He can take the day off, I’ll go to work. He can sleep late, not shower, watch TV all day, play PC games, and generally just lounge about doing exactly as he pleases.
4. We can invite friends out for pizza on the day after his birthday and celebrate with them.
5. We can invite friends for dinner to our house the weekend after his birthday and I will cook and be the perfect hostess, and we can celebrate.
I always tell people what they should do, how they should do it and when they should do it. However, I do provide options so no one feels forced into anything I ask. He has two weeks to pick an option or provide alternate celebrations. At the end of the day it will be celebrated.